Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, July 3, 2009

Light 'em if you got 'em

The time is nigh for the High Holy Days at Bob's house, for it is the time of fireworks in our land. Whether it is model rockets (another passion), or fireworks, Bob is more than a little pleased when there are propellants to ignite.

You may wish to keep him out of your garage, should he come to visit.

And we are pleased to rejoice with him over his hometown's decision to allow fireworks this year and, yes, Bob, you should by all means join in when you can, as if you need my encouragement.

I, for one, while I enjoy the fireworks, prefer not to trouble myself with them. When all is said and done, I get too sweaty and too gobbled by mosquitoes to enjoy myself. We will, though, haul our lawn chairs across the street and watch the display put on by a large church in the area. After I lather myself with bug repellent.

Speaking of summertime activities, I, for some reason, was remembering an episode from my childhood today. This would have been the summer of 1963 and my older sister and my younger sister and I were enjoying some Dr. Pepper. And you recall Dr. Pepper's logo of those days, with the 10, 2, and 4, which suggested a clock face and the times of the day to drink Dr. Pepper. Well my older sister pointed out that the numbers also coincided with our respective ages at the time.

We thought that was neat in '63. I still do.

No comments: