Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I was 10

I always liked the congruence of 4th of July and fireworks with the Apollo 11 moon landing. It just seems appropriate. Why don't we launch a rocket every July 4? I mean NASA, not me and you necessarily. But feel free.

I was happy to read Bob's memory of the lunar landing. I know I've heard the story before, but it's a good story and I am glad that my dad had a hand in making it possible through his whole rural electrification routine. Let's hear it for the boys at White River!

While I do remember the moon landing, I don't remember much. I can vaguely recall seeing the black and white images on the TV, but I was a bit young to grasp the gravity of it all. I probably got about a sixth of it. (Ahem) I do have a Saturn V memory to share sometime, maybe soon, since we are having this great anniversary.

In the meantime, I read a great story about another man's memory of 20 July 1969, and it is well worth your time. I won't try to recap it here but please go and read it, you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Bob Wingate said...

Ahem, indeed!

Mike, thanks for posting the link to the story. That was really something.