Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Independence Day celebrations, part 3

Okay, near the end of my last installment I kind of left you hanging...

"So after I got everyone home, I drove back out there and purchased a handful of bargains. More about that tomorrow."

Well, I've been busy and much has happened since. But I feel I ought to finish my report, so here goes.

Sunday, July 5th: I still had most of my fireworks, and since it was still legal, the weather forecast was reasonable, and I had no pressing plans we went to the backyard to celebrate again.

Fireworks...check! We're ready.

During the day we sent up a daytime parachute, and used up more of the smoke bombs...






...and lit a few snakes and glow worms.



(Family members plus a cousin of a neighbor girl)


That evening out came the sparklers, a few more roman candles, and some ground bloom flowers. At the risk of repeating myself, I'm not sure If I mentioned that I'd bought a couple of pinwheels at the tent near Lake Tapawingo. Before it got dark, I hauled an old wooden stepladder out of the shed, and nailed one of the pinwheels to it. Absolutely beautiful...so good to see a pinwheel again.

We finished off the cones, and fired a nighttime parachute (or "Coloured Aviation Lamp" as it said on the label). We lit the fountains in mixed order, some of the small inexpensive ones along with the slightly bigger - and better - Black Cat fountains from the "Ammo Clip Six Shooter" package.


These Ammo Clip fountains were one of the pleasant surprises of the night. A little more expensive, but not like the really big stuff. Anyway they're worth every penny. Each one is a different color, they have names like "Red Star Crackling Flower" and "Gold & Silver Crackle Green Star". They last longer than the tiny fountains and are a real quality item.

The other pleasant surprise were the extra long "Neon" sparklers, made in Japan actually. They are each dyed a different bright color in the package, which is kind of misleading...I couldn't tell any difference when they were lit (a mix of silver and gold sparks). But they were bright and lasted longer than the regular sparklers.

About the only disappointments of the day were earlier when we tried "Colored Snakes" (from an assortment package of Black Snakes, Colored Snakes, and Glow Worms). When you took the colored snake pellets out of the box, some would have a kind of green cast, some a red cast. But when lit, we couldn't tell any difference between them and the black snakes.

Also, some of the newer Ground Bloom Flowers left something to be desired. Still a good firework, but the old ones lasted longer. Still...no duds, and no injuries. A fun time was had by all, but after a while the back yard got real smokey (no wind to stir the air).

So we had some fireworks left over to put in the ammo box and store for next year.

But you probably already guessed that.

No comments: