Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Monday, July 20, 2009

When I was 15 we went to the Moon


I can't let today's 40th anniversary of Apollo 11, the first manned landing on the Moon, slip by without at least a brief comment here on The Porch. Just before I logged on to my blog, I visited James Lileks' The Bleat. I thought there was a good chance that he would have mentioned the anniversary, and I was right. I left my comment about what I remember about that day, and instead of re-typing all of that, here's the link.

(Mike, Dolores, Trish, and Dave, I mentioned how your dad restored the electricity to Poppy's farm in time, so we were able to watch the broadcast - scroll down to the fourth comment - and you may have to click on "prev." or page 1 first.)


What a proud moment.

After America made it to the moon, the ability to do so became a catch phrase, as in, "Well if we can land a man on the moon, why can't we _____" (fill in the blank with whatever we ought to get done). Some years passed, the Apollo program came to a close, Skylab and the Apollo-Soyuz Test Project came and went, and even with the (then) upcoming Shuttle flights, we wouldn't send a man out of Earth orbit again. Then I heard the saying this way, "Well if we can land a man on the moon, why can't we land a man on the moon now?" Earlier today I read an article on space.com which addresses that.

As worthwhile as the Shuttle program has been, and as impressive as the International Space Station is, I sure hope I live long enough to see someone either return to the Moon, or attempt a voyage to Mars or to one of the close approach asteroids. I hate to think we've been ripped off, but sometimes it sure seems that way.

No comments: