Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Bob checks in

Here I am at the Mid-Continent Public Library, South Independence Branch.

"Bob, why are you using the library computer instead of your home computer?"

Glad you ask. My compy's in the shop with the worst infection of trojans, viruses, spyware, and rootkits - whatever those are - that I've seen. I haven't had a lot of trouble with those in the past, I always have a firewall up and running and have always had anti-virus at the ready. Not to go into much boring detail, but this is like all of the computer problems I've had over the last 3 1/2 years - and then some - all at once.

So repairs are under way, and now you know part of the reason I haven't posted here this week. One thing I've learned...apparently, the real hotshot hackers are getting good at defeating the two anti-virus packages that have the most market share, McAfee and Norton. So at the instruction of one of my local computer wizards, I've loaded and run Avast. It took care of a lot more of the nasty stuff than I was able to find with McAfee, but there were some Windows system files which were infected; hence my trip to deliver my computer to the local expert.

More later when I get back up and running at home.

Mike, feel free to be the substitute host on The Porch.

No comments: