Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Keep not the eager in suspense

Sounds like an ancient proverb, eh?

As for the song lyrics, when I chose this for my first challenge, it didn't occur to me that the apparent music business theme would make it tricky. It's just one that popped into my mind first. If you want something really obscure, just wait until I get going...bwa ha ha ha! (mad scientist laugh).

Oh, the answer. Your guesses were good ones, but it was the third verse of Cinnamon Girl, by Neil Young (1969). The song doesn't go into a long story line like the ones you guessed (Bob Segar, Dire Straits). Basically the song builds up to some well executed hard rock guitar chord progressions and harmonics at the end, and - unless I'm missing something - what theme there is, is all summed up in the first verse:

"I wanna live with a cinnamon girl,
I could be happy the rest of my life with a cinnamon girl"


But if I'd chosen that verse, it would have been too easy. What's always intrigued me by the lyrics is...why ten silver saxes? Why not three or six?

Anyway, that song's gotten enough airplay on the classic rock stations over the years that I guess you have some familiarity with it, but what I don't know is how well you fare with Mr. Young's music. I like maybe one fourth to one third of his stuff, and the handful of what I consider his best efforts I really like. This one, for instance. A lot of people though (like my wife and my kids), just can't stand his singing.

Mike you're up next. And here's an idea to ponder...what do you say to posting two different song challenges at a time?

No comments: