Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Silly (creative?) doodling

Blame it on insomnia. Blame it on sleep deprivation. Both.

Ten or eleven mornings ago I woke up at 4:30 or a little after. Couldn't get back to sleep. I wanted to keep the noise down so as not to disturb the family; so tapping on this keyboard was out. I thought about reading, but couldn't think of anything I had any enthusiasm starting at such a crazy hour. So I went to the kitchen and thought about it some more.

It seemed something creative was wanted, and I recalled a suggestion from years ago. Whether it's writing or drawing, grab a sheet of paper and with pencil in hand just start. Give it some time and patience and see what develops. Being in an artistic mood, I looked for whatever pencils, pens and colored pencils were nearby.

First, I started doodling an abstract design, with no particular purpose I was aware of. Part of this is across the top of the scanned image below, and there's a seperate box-within-a-box thingy. After a while I could see this wasn't going anywhere.

Then, I had the thought, "What would a dog wearing glasses look like"? I really, *Really* did Not like how that turned out. You can see part of doggy on the left (I spared you the nose).

I waited a bit, I didn't want to give up.

And then...the odd duck came forth.



That's what I was looking for. First the duck Christmas ornament, then the Christmas tree branches, then the horn ornament in the background. Lastly, I found a purple pen which worked nicely and added the explanation, the time I finished the doodle, and for some reason just my first two initials.

Yeah, it's silly (maybe it made a bit more sense at 5:18 a.m.).

On second thought, naah. I knew it was silly then. But, I do like the technique of just getting started and keeping at it. So I post it here as the first in a series. A rough beginning to compare with later efforts.

No comments: