Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

A glimpse from 66 years ago

I still have Photoshop issues, but my scanner does still work and I have another program I can use to make images into .jpg files.

I found this photo finishing envelope while going through a box of old pictures, and thought it would make a good scan to post here. My dad got his pilot's license when he was 16, which would either have been late 1936 or early 1937. He and his family lived in Detroit, Michigan at the time, and in the late 1930's he gave flying lessons at the Detroit City Airport. Apparently you could drop off film to be developed by Hite Photo Service, at Baker's News Stand at the airport.



It's a neat image, but I haven't decided what's most interesting...the reminder that they were using rolls of Verichrome 620 film back then, or the lady's hair style of the day, or the old camera she's holding, or...that on January 16, 1942 it cost a grand total of 70 cents for developing and printing 12 prints!

On the back...




Hey! Didja know you could take pictures at night now? Don't forget your photo lamps and Kodak Handy Reflectors. Don't forget additional prints to share...and your favorites can be enlarged at a moderate price.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ease of modern digital photography; I can take so many more pictures now. I am still considering buying a new, quality film camera, that is, before they stop making them. The SLR still appeals to me, in that I can change lenses and capture images that are still difficult for my digital camera...subjects moving fast, sharp closeups, astrophotographs, that kind of thing.

Flashbulbs now, I think I'm safe in saying that's in the past. A grand old technology that worked well for decades, though.

No comments: