Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, October 3, 2008

A Fine and Natural (web)Site

So, do you know my cousin? Bob Wingate? No? Well, he knows King Harvest. They're a band and they had a hit and my cousin knows them like, they're BFF!

Whoa, dude! Slow down! Take a breath.

Congratualations, Bob, on pulling down a Comment from "The Outside". Pretty soon you will be, like ZZ Top, Nationwide.

I like your list and your method. It's good to have limits in which to create - they focus your efforts.

You were fortunate to hear and know all these songs and I guess you had that radio job which beefed up your knowledge. For me, if it wasn't on KWTO Rock 99, I didn't know about it. Still don't.

Now, about your list -

Well, to begin with, you know I am HUGE for Rocky Mountain Way (I think it's #2 on my Arresting list) . It has that 'double tempo' thing going on - it sounds and feels fast, but it's going slow and measured. A lot of great music is like that, he said expertly.

You've got a couple of songs that make me tired. Ridin' The Storm Out, Roundabout, I'm Just A Singer, Free Bird, Dream On and Smoke On The Water. Alright then, that's more than a couple. In my mind these are great songs for a verse or two and then, I get tired, but the song is still pounding on my door. For me, I am looking for something else after a minute or two, but they're good songs.

Desperado by the Eagles - superb, simply superb. I could hear it over and over.

Jim Croce was one of my favorites, and if I recall correctly, wasn't '73 the year he died? I like all of his hits and many of his non-hits and I wonder what his career would have been like had he lived.

I am exactly where you are with ZZ Top's Jesus Just Left Chicago. It's a great sound, but I always feel like I shouldn't be hearing it.

Angie. I always liked Angie. What? No! The song! I don't know any Angies!

And you know how much I like Billy Joel's music. I have 'The Essential Billy Joel', a 2-disc collection and there is a string on the first disc from #7 New York State of Mind to #18 Allentown that every song is a winner and it's just a joy to listen to.

Now, can you get your good friends, King Harvest, to 'splain their name? I am sure I could Google it, but I prefer the personal touch.

1 comment:

King Harvest said...

Mike,
In 1970 we made a last minute entry into a R&R contest in Paris, France. They asked for our band's name, which we had not yet decided on. On the stereo we had one of our favorite albums by The Band playing. The song was King Harvest Has Surely Come. So we gave them King Harvest as a name. As it turned out we won the contest and never changed the name. Two years later, still in Paris, we recorded Dancing in the Moonlight.

All the best to our friend Bob and you.

KH