Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Monday, October 27, 2008

A little slow on the uptake

I don't look at the old posts here often, but I wanted to go back and look for a couple of things today. On my way I noticed a post from mid August, and - Hey, it looks like I got a comment I don't remember...

Cousin Dolores (Mike's sister) left a nice comment to "Mystery solved...maybe", and reminded me of an old story. (The original post was in response to a picture I posted on Mike's 50th birthday, and to the question where it had been taken - I'm pretty sure it was in my back yard, as it looked in 1961.)

So, welcome Dolores! I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply to your comment. Without further ado...

"I think your right Bob, that was my other guess, I remember the asparagus and I remember the other picture being taken as well> I remember that whole visit, we went to Fairyland remember?"

You may be right, but the way I remember it is that we went to Kiddieland, a smaller amusement park east of Independence. In either case I do remember that we went and we rode rides…here’s proof:



"And I went to the zoo with Dad and Uncle Al. Bob wouldn't go because "it stinks",I believe you meant literally."

Yes indeed, and that stemmed from memories of a trip to the zoo in 1958, give or take a year. We went with our friends the Muzzy’s, on a cool day in the winter (maybe late fall or early spring, anyway, no green leaves). We had our coats and caps on, and it started out okay. I remember seeing ducks or swans on a pond. We walked.

And we walked.

And we walked some more.

Eventually we came to a place that, to borrow my wife’s phrase, stank out loud. I don’t remember for sure what the offending animals were, but I have a very vague recollection of my sister Connie, or maybe our friend Melody, trying to cheer me up or get my attention by pointing and saying “Look at the funny monkeys”. Something like that, anyway.

All I knew was that I was tired, getting cold, there was this awful stink in my nose, and I really wanted to go back to my toys. With tears in my eyes, I kept saying “I wanna go home!” over and over. To no avail it seemed, though after a while we did go home. I don’t think I was overly stubborn or selfish as a four or five year old kid, but it came out that day.

I was a quiet kid at times and didn’t volunteer a whole lot of information. It could be that as the years went by, I was asked, “Why don’t you like the zoo”? But the conversation never got to a solution, like, “Oh, we can work it out. If some of the cages are stinky we’ll go look at other animals. We’ll go on a warmer day. You’re bigger now, the walking won’t tire you”.

Or, maybe I was more of a selfish kid than I like to think I was. I look back on it now as an early lesson I wasn’t quite ready for; not enough maturity. Things aren’t always going to suit me, but making a fuss and ruining the outing for others isn’t right.

Anyway, It wasn’t until 1973 that I visited any zoo again. Our college Astronomy class took a field trip to St. Louis to see the McDonnell Planetarium, and while we were in the area we also went to the St. Louis Zoo. I realized I’d been missing out all those years. The animals were interesting, I got a few pictures (of course I had my camera along), and I had a great time. Since then I’ve revisited the St. Louis Zoo at least twice, the new Kansas City Zoo, and zoos in Topeka, Omaha, Colorado Springs, Detroit, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston.



(Another lawn chair photo from your 1961 visit)


"I have been enjoying reading your memories"

Thank you so much! I’m really pleased about that, and I want you to feel free to comment anytime. I’m also glad I decided to heed your brother Mike’s advice, and started this blog. More and more I’m finding out how much I enjoy writing. That and having a digital camera and a scanner and being able to post images…well, it’s just way too much fun.

So Dolores, have you ever considered starting a blog? I’d really like to read your stories.

One more quick comment. Looking at the picture of Poppy's front porch reminds me of the times you and I made mudpies and "cooked" them in the sunshine on those concrete block steps, on hot July days when we'd both be at the farm. I seem to recall we also had an old plastic cup or glass that we'd squeeze those purple polk berries in, and maybe add some water. Of course, we were warned right away not to drink that, because the berries were poisonous. But we had "grape juice" to sit there and look good with our pies.

5 comments:

Dolores said...

Bob, your probably right about kiddieland, was there a Fairyland?
I love the pictures, my dad looks so young and strong and healthy which is how I like to remember him. And how happy we all look!!
Thanks for reminding me of the mud pies too. One of my favorite summer occupations. About the blog, I think we all have writing in our blood, so perhaps.

Bob Wingate said...

Dolores, you wrote:

“Bob, your probably right about kiddieland, was there a Fairyland?”

Now I’m beginning to have doubts. Since you recall the name Fairyland, and since there was such a place, maybe we did go there. It was our big amusement park until Worlds Of Fun opened in 1973. We didn’t go often, in fact, I don’t recall going to south Kansas City much at all. The trip to Fairyland I do remember was when I was maybe 10 or 11. Connie went also, along with some of the family friends. I think it was the Fields girls on this outing, Janet and Linda, but I could be wrong. I’ll have to ask Connie. Anyway, one of them tried to talk me into riding the big wooden roller coaster, which I thought about at first until I got closer and got intimidated.

To continue the local trivia a bit, when WOF opened, that hit Fairyland hard; their attendance really dropped. Everyone went up north to check out the more modern rides, and Fairyland struggled just to stay open. In 1978 a wind storm - some say tornado, others say a straight line wind (maybe a downburst) – did a lot of damage to the rides. That was the last straw, they closed for good. Part of the Bruce Watkins Expressway (US 71) goes through the middle of the property now.

More info can be had here: http://www.amusementparknostalgia.com/indfa.html

“I love the pictures, my dad looks so young and strong and healthy which is how I like to remember him.”

Me too.

“And how happy we all look!!”

Yes, even though we all seem to be squinting into the sunlight a little bit.

”Thanks for reminding me of the mud pies too. One of my favorite summer occupations.”

Summer occupations, I like that. Mind if I borrow it?

“About the blog, I think we all have writing in our blood, so perhaps.”

Interesting…in my family, in my generation anyway, it’s pretty much just me. Connie has written some neat letters over the years, but she’s more the singer than the writer (though her daughter Kelly has some really well written short stories online). I have a few of my dad’s letters, but I don’t remember him writing that much. My mom took a writing class once and did a bit, but didn’t get interested enough to stick with it. I guess the writing bug didn’t bite.

Trish said...

I was reportedly taken to the St. Louis zoo at the age of 4 (1965?)on the hottest day in all of mankind with I suppose my siblings and parents also Aunt Katie and Uncle Frank possibly others, I remember Aunt Katie got me as close as possible to the giraffes(my favorite animal), she held me up high and this hugh giraffe face came right over the fence and we were nose to nose it was great, and then a really big stink! As she kept assuring me of the fun yet to be had all I could think about was the really big stink!!! I had seen the giraffes, mission accomplished lets go. We finally arrived at the big stink, it was a dead baby hippo, still in the water tank that everyone was walking to and looking down into. I am 47 now and I have not been to the ST. Louis Zoo since that day.
Bless Aunt Katie's heart she carried me that whole day. I took my kids to the Kansas City Zoo this past spring,it was very nice Bob, you should go.

Trish said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bob Wingate said...

Trish, thanks for your comment, and welcome!

“I was reportedly taken to the St. Louis zoo at the age of 4 (1965?)on the hottest day in all of mankind…”

Your first zoo experience was as hot as mine was cold.

“I had seen the giraffes, mission accomplished lets go.”

You know, I wonder if we were each just too little to appreciate a long outing like that. Maybe big zoos are better suited for bigger kids and adults. We took our kids to the Topeka zoo once, and I forget now which year or how little our youngest was at the time. Anyway, we came away with the impression that it was a good zoo for taking little kids. It was just big enough for some variety, but not so much walking that the young ones are too fussy half way through.

“I am 47 now and I have not been to the ST. Louis Zoo since that day.
Bless Aunt Katie's heart she carried me that whole day. I took my kids to the Kansas City Zoo this past spring,it was very nice Bob, you should go.”

The St. Louis Zoo is impressive these days, I think if you were to go back you’d notice many improvements. As for the new Kansas City Zoo, I’ve been a few times in “recent” years, and it is much nicer. The big natural areas the animals have to roam in are a plus, but there can be one drawback. If the animals happen to be at the far end of the enclosure, and you didn’t think to bring binoculars, you won’t see all that much.

And yelling, “Hey animals, over here!” doesn’t help a bit.