Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Your test results are back...

"I'm responding in a different order, from highest confidence to least."

Mike, you did pretty good, considering two or three of these were obscure…and you probably didn’t get up in the morning expecting a pop quiz anyway.

"July 20, 1969 - This was the day Apollo 11 astronauts landed on the moon."

Yes indeed; an easy one for a fan of space exploration like me. I wonder if the knowledge of what that date represents is starting to be forgotten by a lot of people.

"April 18, 1906 - I think this is the day the Titanic sunk."

No, I hadn’t thought to look up the Titanic sinking until now (April 15, 1912). It was the great San Francisco earthquake.

"May 6, 1937 - Hindenburg Disaster?"

Yes, complete with the famous, emotion packed recording from the news reporter “…oh, the humanity!”

"December 17, 1903 - Orville and Wilbur's first flight at Kitty Hawk?"

Correct.

"December 24, 1877 - No idea. Let's try Alexander Graham Bell's invention - the phone."

You’re close to the right track. I was going to use Bell’s invention of the telephone, but found when I looked it up that the exact date wasn’t clear (at least, the article wasn’t clear enough to me to pin down one date). So I went with Thomas Edison’s patent application for the phonograph.

"November 19, 1863 - Still don't know, but assume it's Civil War related. Gettysburg? Vicksburg?"

Civil War related yes, but not a battle. Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.

"That was fun, regardless of the outcome."

I enjoy this trivial stuff. At least, now that I’m out of school and there’s no grade riding on the outcome of the test.

No comments: