Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Evening Rambler for November 23, 2008

Something new, well new to me anyway.

In looking through a bookshelf a few months ago, I came across my dad’s four paperback Zane Grey novels. Westerns aren’t my main interest when it comes to reading for pleasure, so I don’t plan to keep all four; there’s just so many books in this house as it is. It’s time to edit and get organized. I do want to keep one though, after all, these were dad’s. I gave him at least one for either his birthday or Christmas, though I don’t recall which one…and it might have been all four. So, which one to keep? I figured eventually I’d read them all, and probably I would like one more than the others.

A month or so ago, I picked up the oldest of the four stories we have here...”The Heritage of the Desert” (original copyright 1910). Then on to “The Rainbow Trail” (1915), which I got part way into, then put down. It wasn’t quite working for me, though in fairness I probably ought to finish it. A day or two ago, I finished “The Man of the Forest” (1920), which I guess I’d call a western romance. The relationships and conversations between the characters seemed to be more developed; I’ve liked this one best of the three I’ve read so far. And yesterday I started “To the Last Man” (1922).

I won’t pretend to make this into a book review, I’m really not qualified to judge western novels (ask me about science-fiction sometime). I will say I was surprised these were written that long ago. Had you asked me before, “Bob, when did Zane Grey write his novels?” I probably would have answered, “Oh, I dunno, 1940’s maybe?”.

These have been easy to read, though there were some words and turns of phrase no longer in common use. There were some regionalisms like “I reckon”, or “savvy” for understand. Also some spellings to emphasize the western drawl (“Wal,” at the start of a sentence for “Well,”; also “shore” for sure and “pore” for “poor”. Sometimes it was “horses”, unless spoken by an outlaw in a gang, when it would be “hosses”).

One thing I liked was how the curse words were edited. A few times one character or another would get agitated and I’d read a “h---“ or a “d---“. I knew what was meant, and I appreciated it was a time when you just didn’t publish words more explicit and put them in front of the readers faces. They were fans of your novels, and the last thing you wanted to do was offend them. (Then again, It’s possible Mr. Grey spelled the entire words and the publisher said, “No, that won’t go”. I don’t know.) In one particularly angry confrontation, a sentence began with the word “----!”.

I’ll never know for shore what that cowboy “said”, which is just as well. I reckon it was a powerful bad word.

The other thing I’ll say is that Zane Grey was very descriptive, he could, as they say, paint a picture with words. Enough so, that I wonder if he ever tried his hand at landscape painting. In these novels he showed a love for the deserts and forests of southern Utah and northern Arizona.

Anyway, it’s been good for me to read something different from my usual. It may help me develop more of a general feel for how novels are crafted.

Travel memories.

I’ve been out west a few times. To me, “out west” is kind of a flexible definition which could mean west of Hays or Great Bend, Kansas; or in or west of one of the panhandles (Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Texas). My first big western vacation was our family trip to Colorado and New Mexico in 1957 – July, I think. Then in 1968 a big road trip through the Oklahoma and Texas panhandles, New Mexico, Arizona (Meteor Crater, The Petrified Forest, and The Grand Canyon), Utah (Bryce Canyon), Colorado, and back through Kansas. We were chased by a tornado for a while, just out of sight but according to the radio it kept pace about half a county behind us until about the time we stopped at WaKeeney, Kansas for the night. We chose to stay at a motel that night. Dad pulled a Starcraft pop-up camper behind our Thunderbird for that trip.

Then in 1972 another camping trip, this time with a Holiday Rambler travel trailer, to Colorado, Wyoming, and back through Nebraska.


(I'm just lazy enough tonight to keep my searching for photos to a minimum, but I had this one close at hand. An old church or school building somewhere in Colorado, 1972.)

In May of 1976, twelve of my college friends and I caravanned two cars and a pickup through Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana. We made it as far as Glacier National Park, a truly beautiful place; then came through South Dakota and stopped at Mount Rushmore on the way back.

Almost a year after I got married, my wife’s insurance job at the time sent her to a branch office in California. I flew out there (yes, on an airplane) to join her for the better part of a week. I rented a car and we drove up and down the coast and saw parts of Los Angeles, visited friends in Laguna Beach, went to Disneyworld one day, then up to Edwards Air Force Base (or as close as they’d let us get) to witness a night landing of the Shuttle. Of course, all the lights were off for security so we saw nothing, but did hear the sonic boom as the shuttle decelerated and landed. Then we drove north to see the Monterey Peninsula (Monterey, Carmel and Pebble Beach), and spent much of a day in San Francisco (Fisherman’s Wharf, Lombard Street – the famous winding back and forth drive down the hill, the Ghirardelli Chocolate factory, and across the Golden Gate bridge to Muir Woods).

Since then, most of our trips out west have been return visits to Colorado. Once we flew out and rented a car, and spent time in the Denver and Colorado Springs area. Another time we drove out through Denver, up the mountains with a stop at Georgetown, then through the Eisenhower Tunnel, then down to Vail. Rode the alpine slide there twice. The last time our whole family has been in Colorado at the same time was a trip in late July and early August of 2000.

So more and more lately, I’ve been thinking how good it would be to take a trip out west again. Part of that may be from reading those western novels, but mostly it’s been such a long time since I’ve seen that interesting country. That and I would like to go see our eldest daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter at their place in California.

One thing that’s kind of funny. That time in 1968 when we traveled through desert areas of Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah I was aware that roadrunners supposedly live there. So I had it in mind to take notice as I was watching the scenery pass by while dad drove. Never saw one that trip. A few years later in northwest Arkansas I saw two of them. Go figure.

Along those lines, I’ve been up and down I-35 and I-45 in eastern Texas several times, and have seen a few dead armadillos. Never a live one though, at least in Texas. I did finally see a live armadillo in Florida once.

The most surprising thing I’ve ever seen along the roadside was on one of the Texas trips. We had left Houston heading northwest on I-45, and were maybe 20 miles past the northernmost edge of the suburbs. Off to the right, just in the grass off the side of the road was a huge black cat. A panther, sitting pretty as you please, just watching the traffic go by.

No comments: