Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Giving thanks 2008

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all.

Or, Thappy Hanksgiving, if you prefer.

This year we kept close to home. Daughter number two was home from college, so there were five of us around the table. Early in the day I switched on the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade, just long enough to see the beginning (Tom Turkey, a marching band all in white uniforms, Snoopy, and Dora the Explorer). I figured that none of my “out of the ordinary” cartoon characters would make an appearance, and I had things to do, so I didn’t stay with the program.

It was really a nice day outside, so I finished connecting extension cords to the Christmas lights I had put up along the gutters and around the front door. They all light nicely, and most of them are the new LED lights, gifts from daughter number one (who just called), and my son-in-law in California. We had a great dinner, but we ate enough that we haven’t gotten into dessert yet. It’s 9:15 now as I write this, so there’s still time for pie. And I think I left enough room, though just barely.

I always try to remember the real reason for the holiday, and keep a thankful attitude. This year has been a challenge, though I can mention the basics. I am thankful to be alive, to still have most of my vision and half of my hearing. I have a wonderful wife, great kids, and a sweet granddaughter. Most of all, through no effort or merit of my own, I am redeemed by the grace of God, through Jesus Christ - “But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8, Revised Standard Version).

Now here’s something I just heard of today, and I think it’s a neat idea. Tomorrow is the National Day of Listening (details can be found here). The idea is to counter some of the excess busyness of the day after Thanksgiving, and take an hour to interview a loved one. This could be a family member, a close friend, or anyone you admire or who has made a positive impact on your life. You might find out something you didn’t know before about that person, and make a memory that will last a lifetime. There are directions to get you started, including lists of suggested questions you could ask.

No comments: