Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

November in history

Yesterday, November 10, was the 33rd anniversary of the sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Hard to believe that happened all the way back in 1975.



I saw that reminder on the internet yesterday afternoon, and I got to thinking about that more at the dinner table. I wondered if either of my two youngest kids had heard of that. So I asked, and sure enough, the reply was "I don't know what you're talking about".

Then again, I only know about it for two reasons. I did see an exhibit at the Valley Camp Museum in Sault Ste. Marie Michigan once. But even so, I wouldn't have paid attention if it hadn't been for the famous song by Gordon Lightfoot.

Along the lines of the question "Where were you when you heard about _____ ?" (usually in reference to the Kennedy assasination, the Challenger explosion, or 9-11), I wonder how many people these days could identify the historic event connected with the following dates?

November 19, 1863

December 24, 1877

December 17, 1903

April 18, 1906

May 6, 1937

July 20, 1969

I left out the obvious ones, July 4, 1776, December 7, 1941, November 22, 1963, and September 11, 2001. And admittedly, the second and the next to last ones are kind of obscure. Can you guess?

Today, November 11, is Veterans Day. I had a quiet day at home, but if you were out and encountered someone who is or was in the military, I hope you thanked him or her for his or her service. If not, that's okay...every day is a good day to do that.

Tomorrow, November 12, happens to be the birthday of my pastor's wife. Also that of former Olympic gymnist Nadia Comaneci, and Canadian rock guitarist & songwriter Neil Young. And it seems like somebody else has a birthday on the 12th...

Oh well, maybe it'll come to me.

No comments: