Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Monday, December 10, 2007

Wait, is it too late to choose more snow instead?

Here's a photo taken out my front door, just to prove we did indeed get over an inch of snow last Thursday evening.

Since then we've had one round of sleet on Sunday, and now tonight, the freezing rain has begun. We're in an ice storm warning for the rest of tonight and most, if not all, of Tuesday. I've heard from a couple of sources that we're forecast to get up to 1 inch of ice. Looks like there will be plenty of slick spots tomorrow, and driving and walking might be treacherous. I'll be surprised if many schools are open tomorrow.

Now, if I have to have winter weather, I'd much rather have a foot of snow. But it doesn't look we have much choice. There's been some mention that the temperatures could rise a bit tonight, and if it's even 30 degrees or above, the rain will mostly drip off the tree branches and power lines before freezing on the ground. If it stays in the 20's instead, we could have a major ice storm with trees down and power outages. I expect the utility companies will have a busy night and day tomorrow. I'll try to post an update tomorrow, assuming it's not all that bad and that IPL is able to keep the power flowing.

Look at the photo again, 'cause I have a story about the evergreen tree to the left of the house across the street. 44 years ago (give or take a year), I watched the neighbor man carry that tree out of the front door of that house, and plant it where you see it standing. The couple who lived there at the time had bought a live Christmas tree, with the roots in a ball of dirt. It has thrived and grown through the years.


No comments: