Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, January 29, 2010

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Netflix

A couple of months ago we signed up for Netflix. So far, most of what we've watched have been old TV shows. During the Christmas season though, we had rented "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". That's one I missed when it was out on the big screen; it was on my list of movies to see, but I just didn't get around to it. I had heard some comments that it wasn't as good as the other movies in that franchise. So I didn't have my expectations all that high, but I still wanted to see it.

I've got to tell you, I was pleasantly surprised. To me it wasn't quite up to the level of "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", but it would have been mighty hard to equal that one.

"Crystal Skull" did have its moments. One scene I enjoyed in particular was early in the movie. Indiana and the Soviets were in the Area 51 warehouse, and Indy had just made a break to escape. He got away from all but one of the soldiers, a fistfight ensued, and they crashed through a couple of skylights to a lower floor. Indy lands on a vintage 1950's-era control panel,

which just happened to still be connected to electrical power,

and Indy just happens to hit the right button,

which activates a countdown to fire up a rocket sled (actually jet engine powered, by the looks of it),

which just happens to still have fuel in it after being stored away,

and the sled is still on it's track.

Indy just happens to get on board the sled just in time for the engine to fire up, and the sled roars off down the track,

through the opening (not blocked, as it happens) in the side of the mountain,

and as it happens there's exactly the right amount of fuel for the sled to slow down and squeek to a stop right at the bumper at the end of the track,

So Indy can get off safely and make good his escape...for a little while, at least.

Everything fell into place just so.

But! That's exactly the kind of chain of events we expect and watch for in an Indiana Jones movie.

I won't give away more of the plot (for those few of my readers who might not have seen the movie yet). If you've been a fan of Harrison Ford, or of the other Indiana Jones movies, check this one out.

No comments: