Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Airline History Museum

I suspect a lot of people don't realize how many great museums there are in the Kansas City metro area. The Nelson Gallery - Atkins Museum of Art is first class. The Steamboat Arabia Museum is a unique experience. The Truman Library and Museum in Independence is among the most well known presidential museums. We also have the Kansas City Museum and Science City at the Union Station. Another place I've heard about but not yet seen, is the Toy and Miniature Museum.

One place I've been meaning to see for years now is the Airline History Museum at the Wheeler Downtown Airport; it opened years ago as "Save A Connie". I should have gone long ago, as my dad was a TWA pilot for 27 years and flew the DC-3 and the L1049G Super-Constellation. Between Christmas and New Year's while my daughter and son-in-law were in from California, we drove there one afternoon to see what was on display.

What a treat. I took several photos, here are a few of the better ones to give you an idea.



A couple of displays in the small room before you enter the hangar.






Martin 404 cockpit


DC-3


I made a note of the license number of this DC-3, and when I returned home I got out my dad's pilot log books. I'm happy to report that he flew this plane.





The Lockheed 1049G Super-Constellation.


While my dad did pilot the Connies, this particular plane wasn't based in Kansas City at that time. I'm not even sure that it was ever owned by TWA, though it's been nicely restored with the TWA logo.


Inside...


The cockpit of the Connie

The first plane I ever flew on was the Super-Connie. While I do appreciate the speed of jet travel, the Connie is still a sentimental favorite of mine. I look forward to seeing and hearing this one fly again, perhaps this summer.

For those of you who have interest in airplanes or airline history, this museum is a must. Well worth your time.

No comments: