Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, January 1, 2010

01-01-10

This is just nuts, as I told my wife earlier in the day. 2010 already? When we were younger, The Year 2000 was a ways off yet, but it was something we could kind of imagine...it was on its way. Then, there was that movie 2001. But 2010? Yeah, right.

Where did the last 25 years go?

The kids spent New Years Eve with some good friends of the family, so my wife and I had the house to ourselves. We built some popcorn and watched a movie we hadn't seen in a long while, The Princess Bride. We enjoyed the quiet evening at home, and the kids had a good time at their party...stayed up until midnight even.

This morning after breakfast my wife and I bundled up and drove to the local Wally World to exchange the flannel pajamas I got for Christmas for the same thing in size XL. That, and we bought a few other things.

It's been bitterly cold all day, it may have made it up to 15. In the afternoon, I went out to sprinkle some snow melt chemicals on the worst of the icy patches, and to take the trash cans to the curb for tomorrow morning's pickup. Other than that, I've stayed in. The weather guessers say it may get down to one or two below zero tonight.

We're starting to put the Christmas decorations away, bit by bit, which always makes me a bit sad. That, and I had hoped to light the oven to bake some snack mix this evening. Our oven is tempermental about lighting, and it was nothing doing tonight.

Not much of a report, I know. But I thought it was interesting how today's date looked, using just the last two digits of the year. There will be some fun number sequences this year...08-09-10, 10-10-10, and 12-11-10, to list some obvious ones.

1 comment:

Daniel "Captain" Kirk said...

Just the other day, I was trying to explain to my son (born in 1999, another "futuristic" year) what the big deal was about 2010. Best I could do was describe how we used to look forward to 2000 + anything as "the future" in a science-fiction kind of way. Since he's never known anything but years that begin with 2, 19-something has always sounded as quaint and historic to him as 18-something did to me.

Then I mentioned 2001, the book and movie, as a date set far enough in the future that anything could happen, but close enough that most readers would live to see it. To top that, Clarke had to jump to 2010, then 2061, then 3001. (2001 was truly great. 2010 was pretty good. 2061 was okay. 3001 stunk on ice. I'm sure Clarke has changed some of his opinions, now that he's dead.) When I mentioned the latter two dates, he seemed to get a glimmer of understanding, in a "Dad's so old-fashioned" kind of way.

BTW, we finally decided the boys were old enough to watch The Princess Bride in November, when we all had the flu, had watched all our videos suitable for children, and were too sick to do anything else. For weeks afterward, GL went around saying, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!" Of course, "Stop saying that!" only encouraged him.