Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Who needs a clock radio, anyway?

That was new…I woke up from a late afternoon nap by dreaming about two songs that suddenly started up. They were songs I like, “What a Bringdown” by Cream, and the first bit of “I’m Bad, I’m Nationwide” by ZZ Top. It was like I had a built in clock radio alarm.

I could do without that. Sure hope it doesn’t become a habit.

Speaking of songs, a couple of weeks ago, I started a list of songs that I would just start thinking about during the day, for no apparent reason. So far:

Paul McCartney / Wings: Medicine Jar
Tom Petty: Learning To Fly
Mott the Hoople: All the Way From Memphis
Al Stewart: Broadway Hotel
Buffalo Springfield: Bluebird
Neil Young: Cinnamon Girl
Rory Gallagher: The King Of Zydeco
The Police: Spirits In the Material World
Talking Heads: Once In a Lifetime
Alvin Lee / Ten Years After: I’m Going Home

Many of these I’ve already listed on my “favorite songs” project…still in progress. Over 425 entries…help, I’ve created a monster…must…edit…list…

If there’s a pattern to the above list, I’m not sure what it is (other than the Buffalo Springfield / Neil Young connection, and that three of the songs – Learning To Fly, All the Way From Memphis, and Spirits In the Material World – were catchy enough that I thought of them more than once).

It does remind me of the time back in the eighties a college friend, who was a radio DJ in another city, asked me to keep track of songs I heard on K.C. radio stations for a week. He had written down what he thought I’d be hearing. Best as I recall, he had a song or two written down that I did hear, but not on the same days. No ESP there, anyway.

The other thing my list shows, yes, I’m of the “baby boom” generation, and I’ve listened to a whole bunch of classic rock. My wife and I were talking this evening, and I admitted that I don’t have the foggiest idea of what music is out there these days (well, that’s not entirely true…I have watched a bit of American Idol). But I’m – happily – mostly out of touch with the current trends.

If it weren’t for homestarrunner.com and Strong Bad’s email’s, I wouldn’t have any contact with today’s pop culture. Those guys will keep us informed.

No comments: