Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

The shuttle gouge: my two cents worth

After this week's nearly perfect launch of the space shuttle Endeavour, now we have word of a three inch square gash in the thermal protective tiles on the belly of the orbiter. The experts say this was caused by ice breaking off the external tank on launch, hitting Endeavour - not just the less dense foam insulation. What caught my eye in the article I read yesterday, was the word "worrisome".

From today's Space.com article, a quote by mission management team chairman, John Shannon:

"We have a rich flight history of tile damage, some of which is more significant looking than what we have right here," Shannon said. "Instead of guessing, we'll go and get the right characterization of what exactly the damage is."

The astronauts have three repair choices, they could apply "a heat resistant paint, a drill on patch, or a thick goop". Or, they could determine the gouge isn't sufficiently deep to need repair and do nothing (though it now may seem routine, extra vehicular activities still involve some risk, too).

I've been a fan of space exploration since 1961. I don't claim to be an expert, and I realize the aerospace engineers will have a much better understanding about such things. And I think the articles I've read are well written and reassuring - the situation is in hand.

Still, I think you paint the paint. Or you attach the patch. Or you spread the goop. Whichever method the experts say will give a more reliable repair. I'd sure hate for doing nothing to lead to another shuttle disaster.

1 comment:

Bob Wingate said...

Update...
Checking the internet today, I read that NASA engineers now think it was foam, not ice, which gouged Endeavour's thermal protective tiles. The damage could be less severe than thought, and astronauts at the International Space Station are using the remote arm to bring a camera in closer for a better look.

The upshot of this is that now there's more of a chance that a patch won't be needed.

The other mission objectives seem to be going well, from what I hear and read, anyway. I'll feel better about the gouge situation after the successful return of Endeavour and her crew.