Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Independence Day Weekend

Here's some photos and captions from July 2nd through 5th.


My wife and our youngest granddaughter.



Our first granddaughter. Our California family came to visit on this weekend so she could be a flower girl and so her mom - our first daughter - could be a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding.




Of course, the visit with our kids and grandkids was the high point of the extended weekend. And that's saying a lot, considering that there were fireworks.




July 3...my wife's birthday. She's opening her main gift, a DVD of Disney's "Meet the Robinsons"





She's told the story of how when she was growing up, kids would give her fireworks for her birthday. I guess that seemed good at first until she caught on that those were presents she couldn't keep; they'd be fired off and just plain gone. In honor of that family story, I bought her a Friendship Pagoda at one of the local tents.



"There's something in here"
On impulse I had bought an unusual item, not quite a gag gift, but almost. It was challenging to wrap until I had a timely inspiration.



Meanwhile, our content, good natured grand baby chose that moment to show how genuinely happy she was.



It's...a back scratcher!



That sudden flashing light again!



What with the fourth being on a Sunday this year, we were dressed up for church. Someone is having her feet played with by grandma.


Back in comfy clothes after church. I'm kind of fond of this photo.



Niece, Uncle, and toy dino.



Daughter number one about to get in the car.



Son-in-law tying shoes while waiting in the airport terminal.



The best visits always seem to go by too fast, and it's hard to say goodbye.


July 5th - the last day this year to legally shoot 'em off, and I had more left over than I wanted to store away. First, daytime fireworks...one item in the lower left that was new to me this year, Snake Escape. Finally an easy way to light snakes - the entire package is lit by a fuse and erupts with a big green flame. Then, as the label says, the snakes escape.




Our second daughter lighting two smoke bombs at once.



Yellow plus red make orange.



Smoke from the smoke bombs against the trees in the top background. I was also holding two lit punks, and it didn't occur to me how well the tendrils of smoke in the foreground would show up. Maybe I had the flash on. Turned out kind of neat.



Youngest daughter holding a Morning Glory.



I have a better ladder than that old rickety wooden one. I only keep it around to nail firework pinwheels into, of course.

No comments: