Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Elaborate mayonnaise

“I will tell you it was a mayonaise cake, which replaces oil and egg, I think, in the mix, only Sarah used Miracle Whip (amen) instead. And that's not much of a secret. Perhaps you could elaborate.”

Elaborate, I shall. Yes, I was asking about the mayonnaise, only I was trying to think of a clever way to put it…that, and I wasn’t totally sure that it was mayonnaise. What if I was wrong and it was something else?

Now, it may not be much of a secret in your family, but I gotta tell you, you’re the only person I can recall who’s spoken of mayonnaise cake. Or, maybe I just haven’t been paying attention. I remember we did have mayonnaise cake on one of our visits, maybe the trip we made to see you in upstate New York.

Delicious cake, anyway.

One thing reminds me of another. I remember once as a kid - maybe five years old – I ate a sandwich with mayonnaise…only to get *Very* ill an hour or so later.

You can see where this is headed. For many years, I made that connection and would have nothing to do with mayo. Years passed. Eventually I tried it again (“hey, this is tasty”), and of course, no ill effect. I guess the first time I was coincidentally on the verge of stomach flu.

“The red bow tie photo is - and you might konk your noggin V8-style when I tell you - my high school senior picture.”

I thought it might be, but then thought it could have been some other special event.

Mike, thanks for sharing the list from Dolores, that was great!

No comments: