Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Chocolate Cake and Red Ties

Chocolate cake with chocolate frosting . . . and

And I'm afraid I don't know what you are referring to, Bob, concerning a "secret ingredient". Sorry. I will tell you it was a mayonaise cake, which replaces oil and egg, I think, in the mix, only Sarah used Miracle Whip (amen) instead. And that's not much of a secret. Perhaps you could elaborate.

The red bow tie photo is - and you might konk your noggin V8-style when I tell you - my high school senior picture.

Well, I wanted to be sure and post this from my sister. Incidentally, it's interesting how your mind begins to work when it's working in a new way. My big sister wrote a list of other notable things that happened on August 11, 1958 and gave me the list on my birthday. When I read it, I thought it was very nice and personal, very thoughtful of her. My next thought was, "This will make good material for a blog post."

And here it is -

August 11, 2008
Dear Mike,
Here are some other notable things that happened 50 years ago today.
1. It was VERY HOT!
2. I played in the sprinkler (see #1 above)
3. Peggy Jo Hicks' guppies had babies and we had to dip them out so their mom wouldn't eat them. (Some species eat their young. We got lucky.) (Ed. The reference here is a little unclear. I need to find out who the lucky ones were - Peggy Jo, Dolores and the newborn guppies, or Dolores and her newborn brother. Hmm)
4. I painted many rocks blue. (blue for boy baby)
5. I rode Junior Hicks' tricycle to the end of the block (very fast)
6. I acheived a lifelong goal of becoming a big sister! Thanks for being born, as you can see its all about me!
Love, Dolores

No comments: