Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

It's past time I should have posted this


Ira Moore, 1942 or 1943

I've wanted to keep The Porch a mix of things that I find either fun or interesting or important at the moment; cousin Mike does the same when he posts. That's why I've resisted getting fully into the family tree here, and just kept it to the occasional story or photo. Though I have an interest in genealogy, it can take on a life of its own and take over the content here. I am actually thinking of starting a separate genealogy blog; I haven't decided for sure yet. We'll see what happens.

Anyway, I've had a great time lately e-mailing cousins Trish and Ed, we've been sending each other scans of old letters, family photos and the like. We've each had "oh wow" moments when we've seen something for the first time.

Which by the way, I highly recommend if you have relatives separated by the miles, that you take advantage of this modern connected world and share copies of old family photos and letters with them. Find out what stories you had wrong, and fill in the gaps, so to speak. I'm having great fun with that.

So I came across this today; it's one of my favorites and it definitely deserves to be here.

My sister, the first of Ira's grandchildren, called him Poppy and that stuck with all of us. I'm not sure exactly when this photo was taken, but I think my grandfather was either 40 or 41 at the time.

He built the entire house, including the front porch.

No comments: