Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Day O' Bob

(This ran originally in 2007 and is re-posted today to celebrate the man's birthday. It is not known if happenin' britches are widely available today. - Ed.)

No doubt the skies over Independence, Mo. are ablaze with fireworks as the daylong festivities commemorating the birth of key citizen Robert K. Wingate are reaching their appointed climax. Even at this hour, you'll probably still be able to pick up pieces of candy strewn along Noland Road, flung there by the various fire departments and ambulance brigades during the parade. That is, if you can pick it out amongst all the confetti and twenty dollar bills shot from cannons or launched from those rubber-band sling things by exuberant cheerleaders. Kansas City loves a parade, yessiree, Bob.

Pictured here is the man of the hour in an earlier time, probably about 9:30 a.m. He's in the foreground on the swing. That's me on the glider with the happenin' britches on. Probably he had spent the night at my house and we would all wind up down at Poppy's later on. The girl is my big sister, but enough about her.

Time flies and Bob and I have a married daughter each. He's a grandpa now. Happily, though, we've not traversed too far from laughing our fool heads off at cartoons, ours or someone else's, giddiness fueled by hot dogs, Shasta and not nearly enough sleep.

So, get your happenin' britches on! It's the birthday of Independence's own Bob Wingate! Happy Birthday, cousin!

Yessiree, Bob.

2 comments:

Bob Wingate said...

Oh, man! What a day!

One thing we've learned over the years is to station family members and friends along Noland Road to grab as many of the twenties as we can. We did pretty good this year, after we paid the street sweepers, we had quite a bit left over.
And yes, the fireworks.

But of course.

Seriously now, I was sick most of the day with some kind of head cold. But, the evening got better.

We had chocolate cake with chocolate icing, and vanilla ice cream. I opened my presents, and a really sweet card from my Wife. I received three nice phone calls, had the birthday song sung to me (a duet by my Mom and Stepdad, and a solo later on by my Sister, followed by a long conversation). Then later, a third call from my Daughter in California.

So, it turned out okay. But in the future, I'll probably remember the parade first.
Thanks, Cousin!

Daniel "Captain" Kirk said...

Time to break out the fireworks! Hmm, I think we still have some sparklers left. Maybe I'll just fly a model rocket in your honor.