Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Quick! What Would It Be?



My number one son came up the stairs this evening and asked me an important question. If you could have just one super power, what would it be?

Hmmmm.

Jacob decided that he would like to be able to fly, though, he had reservations about it. He thought he'd like something more effective in actually changing his surroundings.

What inspired the question is his newfound interest in the NBC program "Heroes".

Anyway, after brief deliberation, I decided I would want supersonic speed like Flash (pictured). As we all know, Batman is King, but he lacks any super powers. And of course, this is a large part of why he is King. I always liked Flash and having super speed is not a bad power at all, it's as good as flying in many ways.

So, Porch Heads, what would it be? Flying? Super Speed? Web-Spinning and Wall-Crawling?

And, not to be overlooked are Slipping Under Doors Like Jello and the Ability to Be Lint. These are options, as well.

3 comments:

Bob Wingate said...

Ah yes, you gotta admire “J-Man” for his shape shifting ability. Great for getting back under your front door after you locked yourself out of the house.

And Flash’s super speed is a neat ability, but one thing you’d have to be careful of…you must have a clear path. Just because you’re accelerated doesn’t mean the coffee table you just banged into will yield more easily.

That’ll leave a mark.

Now, one super power that came to my mind is telepathy (but you might already have known that). I’d want that power only on a couple of conditions:
1. I’d have a thought shield…no one would read my mind, and
2. I could turn it on and off at will. Otherwise it might drive me crazy.
But think of how useful this could be, in any situation…job interviews…shopping for a car…the list could go on and on.

Admittedly I haven’t read a wide range of superhero comics, so I don’t know if that’s been used much before (the subject shows up in some interesting science fiction stories, but more on that some other time).

It seems like you’d want to combine it with another power, for the sake of action and advancing the plot of the story.

“You quit your job as a comic artist? I thought you loved it! I don’t understand.”
“Well, fine…You try drawing nothing but thought balloons all day!”

Having given it some more thought, I think I might choose flying. Granted, there wouldn’t be much you could do while in the air, but you would be able to get where you needed to be straightaway. Like Superman, he’d fly somewhere, and then land to use his super strength or some other power against the bad guy at whatever destination.

And what a ride!

Erin said...

Huzzah for Batman! That is always why he was my favorite. ..very human, but anyway. . .if I could have a super power, it would probably have to be teleportation, like Nightcrawler in X-men. Flying would be really neat, but there is just something about teleporting that is so cool! If all there is to teleporting is being able to see the next place you need to go, I suppose you could practically fly anyway. . .although it is hard to see air. . .hrmmm

Bob Wingate said...

Hey Erin!

I know I already said this on the phone, but I thought I'd make it official. Welcome to The Porch!

Like Mike said, Batman is king. In a way though, he does have a super power...psychology. He's great at getting into the minds of the criminals and freaking them out.

Okay, that's not really a super power. Not in a visual, action sense, anyway.

And on re-thinking the original question, Flash's super speed might be the most practical of all. Think of all the things I could get done...