Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Mike's On the Porch

I am younger than Sputnik, so I either have to just make stuff up (which I can do), or do some homework (which is not appealing at this hour), or go off on some tangent.

Well . . . . I think we can see where this is headed.

Sputnik, eh? So how far does a Sputnik go?

I went to school with a guy named Spuddy. Spuddy Weigel. It's like Sputnik, only it's Spuddy. Spuddy was a distance runner on the track team. I think he also hurled something - trackwise, I mean. Spuddy ran the two mile race and so did Arve. Arve Levang. He was an exchange student from Norway which is pretty close to Russia, I think.

That's what I remember about Sputnik.

1 comment:

Bob Wingate said...

Spuddy. What Were his folks thinking? Now, I don’t know Spuddy, never met him. But I can imagine the proud parents introducing the new baby…”Isn’t he a cute little tater”?

Or maybe his Dad was a joker…”Come on inside and see the tot”.
Growing up, I suppose he got really tired of those and all the other “potato comments”.

“Ya want fries with that? Hey, we could call you Fry!”
(No, let’s not.)

I wouldn’t be surprised if he just uses his initial and goes by S. Weigel today.