Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks

Poppy's Front Porch - in the Missouri Ozarks
This photo was taken in 1949. My cousins and I remember the porch after our grandfather walled it in, added a door and big screen windows.

Friday, July 25, 2008

The Back Porch and Some Fireworks

Bob's post has gotten me to thinking which is good because I've been a useless blob for weeks now.

Poppy had a refrigerator on the back porch and I thought, as a youngster, that this was most interesting. There was a refrigerator in the kitchen AND ANOTHER ONE on the back porch. Such luxury!! I don't recall what exactly was kept out there early on, but I do recall some Buckhorn being there later, I suspect to help manage whatever ailment eventually took Poppy's life.

Bob, I also remember your mom being laid up on a bed on the back porch after an ugly encounter with some sizeable thorns during one of your visits. I don't recall any details except that as, again a young boy, it seemed like she had to stay in bed an awfully long time.

I do remember the fireworks displays that we had at the farm - it was great fun! It seemed as if the dark would never come. I remember watching my dad hold a roman candle out to his side while it discharged and thought that was one of the coolest things ever. I begged and begged to be allowed to do that and finally he let me after much coaching and warning.

And when it was all done, it wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

Bob, was the balsa glider actually your first rocket? Do you have Bud to thank for your hobby?

No comments: